Creating a Personal Life Purpose Statement
As a coach and a trainer, one of the things I get asked about is “Life Purpose”. My first question to the person asking is “what is your life’s purpose statement?” If they tell me they don’t have one, I let them know that developing one is the first place to start.
A Life Purpose Statement is your guiding principle of what you are here to do, be and experience while living on this earth. This process is iterative. As you live life consciously, you will revise it until you are satisfied. Every time you take action and experience life, you will come back to your statement and make adjustments until you nail it down with certainty. This statement is powerful because it will guide you in your career and entrepreneurial endeavors, and when things get tough, it will remind you of why you are doing what you are doing in the first place.
Here is an exercise that I guide my coaching clients through when we are creating clarity around their purpose. Take about one hour or so to reflect and answer the questions. See what resonates with you the most and start there.
Step 1: Answer the following questions:
- How do you want to impact your world?
- How do you want to impact the world?
- How do you want to feel while you are doing your right work?
- Who is positively impacted when I am using my natural gifts and talents for a greater good?
Step 2: Complete the following “I AM” statements:
- Who am I when I feel fulfilled in life: (I Am… list as many as you want)
- What am I doing when I am fulfilled and satisfied with life? (I Am….)
Step 3: Draft a life purpose statement.
- Take the answers to the questions above and fill in the blanks: My Life’s Purpose is to be____ and do ____ so that ________.
- As you get clearer, your personal life purpose statement will contain elements of: Being, Values, Doing, Impact, and Results.
Here is my personal example: “My life’s purpose is to acknowledge, accept and embrace my divine power, consistently remembering who I really am so that I can live joyously, masterfully, consciously and whole heartedly. By standing in my divine power, I experience freedom and sovereignty and I empower and encourage others to do the same.”
Again, this is an iterative process that will take time, dedication, patience and action. If you would like more assistance on crafting a personal life purpose statement, feel free to schedule a one time coaching session with me.